Rules and Regulations are designed to monitor the participants “Solo” performances in all eight (8) age groups.
DIVISIONS & AGE CATEGORIES
Ages 2 – 3 yrs (exhibition ONLY)
Tamari’i Tamaroa / Tamahine ~ Ages 4–6yrs; 7–10yrs
Taure’are’a Tamaroa / Tamahine ~ Ages 11–13yrs; 14–17yrs
Toa Tane / Toa Vahine ~ Ages 18–21yrs; 22–26yrs; 27–35yrs
Matua Tane / Matua Vahine ~ Ages 36-45yrs; 46yrs+
The Solo competition will be implemented as follows:
PROCESS OF ELIMINATION BY AGE CATEGORY
- This elimination process consists of: First Round, Semi-Final Round, and Final Round.
- The First Round and Semi-Final Round eliminations will be staged by groups of up to five (5) participants at a time.
- The Final Round will be staged with no more than three (3) participants at a time.
- Generally, the selected winners from the First Round will move to the Semi-Final Round.
- Consequently, the top four (4) tane and four (4) vahine from the Semi-Final Round will automatically move to the Final Round to compete for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners within their own age group after having participated in the First Round.
- On the other hand, if any age group has only four (4) contestants maximum, they too will automatically move to the Final Round after having participated in the First Round.
- Furthermore, any age group that has a remainder of four (4) or less contestants after the First Round will automatically move directly to the Final Round.
- The 1st place solo winners (tane and vahine) from each age group will compete for the TANE ORI SOLO CHAMPION AND VAHINE ORI SOLO CHAMPION.
- All dancers must be within their respective age categories in order to be eligible to participate.
- This Competition is open to any Pupu Ori (dance group), studio, organization, dance company, and/or independent soloist(s).
- There is no limit as to the number of soloists per Pupu Ori or group.
- Each solo contestant must complete a registration form and submit it with their fee before the deadline, March 9, 2016. On-site solo registration will be $70.00PLEASE NOTE: Ra’atira Pupu’s may choose to submit one (1) money order or cashier’s check on behalf of a collective group of soloists representing their Pupu Ori, along with the individual Solo Applications.
- Each registered contestant will be assigned a solo number.
- Each soloist will need to register themselves on the day of competition at the event location participant registration staff. PLEASE NOTE: All registered soloists will not be required to purchase a ticket on the day that they are scheduled to dance. However, once eliminated, the participant must purchase a ticket for the following days of competition. The group rate can only be purchased at the performance gate entrance located at the back of the Waikiki Shell.
COSTUME FOR ELIMINATION (1st Round and Semi-Final Round) –
- VAHINE – All vahine soloists are required to wear a Tahitian “more” which is banded, with NO hip adornments and NO hand held items.
- The length of the more should be ankle length. No tea or knee lengths and no layered more allowed. A five (5) point deduction for non-compliance of length of “more” and/or hand held items will be applied.
- TANE – All tane soloists are required to wear a “maro” with very little leg adornments.
COSTUME FOR FINAL AND OVERALL
- VAHINE – The Final and Overall vahine soloists are required to wear a “Tahitian printed pareu”, NO solids, (side tie only) with NO hip adornments and NO hand held items.
- The length of the pareu should be NO shorter than 3” from the top of the knee. A five (5) point deduction for a short pareu and/or hand held items will be applied.
- TANE – The Final and Overall tane soloists are required to wear a “tihere” style pareu with very little or no leg adornments. The judges may require leg adornment be removed.
DRUMMING AND TIME
- House drummers will be provided for all Ori solo participants. Dancing will be impromptu.
- Tamari’i and Taure’are’a Divisions – 1 ½ minutes to 2 minutes maximum
- Ta’ata Pa’ari Divisions – 2 minutes to 2 ½ minutes maximum
NOTE: Time lengths may be changed at anytime due to venue, weather, or other unforeseen circumstances.